After yet another game in which his team lost by less than a score and gave up significant yardage on defense, Los Angeles Chargers head coach Brandon Staley was emphatic that Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Packers was not due to a problem in his own defensive game plan, saying he has no plans to make changes in that area at this point.
"I have full confidence like I've told you -- and like I've told you from the beginning -- I have full confidence in our way of playing. I have full confidence in myself as the play-caller. And the way that we teach and the way that we scheme. Full confidence in that," Staley told reporters. "We've got to bring this group together and do it consistently, and that's where it's at.
"So you can stop asking that question, OK? I'm going to be calling the defenses, OK? So we're clear. So you don't have to ask that again."
Sunday's loss to the Packers dropped the Bolts to 4-6 on the year and 2-5 in one-score games this season. It was also the second straight week in which the defense struggled -- they have given up a combined 957 yards and 64 points in back-to-back losses.
The defense gave up 424 yards to the Packers, who have had issues producing on offense throughout the season and had not hit 400-plus yards or 300-plus passing yards going into Sunday. This came after the Chargers' loss to the Lions last week when the defense gave up 533 yards. Overall, the defense has struggled mightily throughout the season, ranking near the bottom in the league in yards allowed per game through Weeks 1-10, leading to questions for Staley about what, if any, changes might be in store for L.A. in order to address and resolve the long-term issues.
But when Staley was repeatedly asked by reporters after the game whetherRead on nfl.com