Everton manager Sean Dyche has admitted he’d consider pairing new signing Beto with Dominic Calvert-Lewin in a strike partnership.
The pair were both available to Dyche for the first time in the 1-0 defeat to Arsenal at Goodison Park last Sunday but Beto – who completed a £25.8million transfer from Udinese in the final week of the window – started the match for his home debut before making way on 65 minutes for Calvert-Lewin, who had been absent from the side since his collision with Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez on August 20.
Asked if he’d consider sticking the duo together up front, the Blues boss said: “Yes, possibly. I’ve always liked to play with two strikers when possible but it’s got to suit the rest of the team as well.
“You’ve got to have the players who can work – particularly in midfield – work in a two as in modern football, most people play with a three in there so you’ve got two who need to handle three or a version of that but I do like two strikers when I can.”
What happened at 777 Partners meeting with Sean Dyche and Kevin Thelwell
Sean Dyche offers fitness updates on Everton's Jack Harrison and Seamus Coleman
Dyche predominantly deployed a 4-4-2 formation for the majority of his nine-and-a-half years in charge of Burnley but has generally used the 4-5-1 system at Everton. In terms of linking up his two big men (another 6ft 4in Portuguese striker Youssef Chermiti was also brought in this summer), he said: “It’s still early for that combination to find its feet. You only get so many training hours, particularly when you play on a Sunday, there’s a recovery as well but we’re certainly looking down that line.
“Can they? Will they? How do they connect?
“Some of it you’re waiting to naturallyRead on liverpoolecho.co.uk