Todd Boehly’s dream of signing Cristiano Ronaldo appears to be over. Earlier this year, the Portuguese superstar paved the way for many others by becoming one of the first high-profile names to join the Saudi Pro League. An explosive Manchester United exit resulted in Ronaldo jumping ship to the Middle East, which is trying to muscle its way onto the footballing landscape.
Just months earlier, new Chelsea owner Boehly appeared adamant about rescuing the 38-year-old from his Old Trafford nightmare. Failing to qualify for the Champions League triggered a pre-season squabble between Ronaldo and United, with the forward missing the bulk of Erik ten Hag's 2022-23 preparations.
Those hostilities only intensified once the campaign kicked off, with Ronaldo infamously leaving a game early after cutting a frustrated figure on the bench. Chelsea were named as one of the favourites to offer him an escape route until a drastic change of heart.
A new transfer policy, focusing on younger talent on long-term contracts, took precedence. Any hope of Ronaldo wearing blue at Stamford Bridge appeared over and he all-but confirmed this as fact on Friday night.
The Al-Nassr talisman bagged a brace against Al-Ahli, who boast a frontline of Riyad Mahrez, Allan Saint-Maximin and Roberto Firmino, in a thrilling 4-3 victory. Those two strikes took Ronaldo to 23 goals from 22 games for the Saudi side.
Post-match, the five-time Champions League winner reiterated his commitment to the game and rumours claim he has told Al-Nassr chiefs he aims to retire at the club. Ronaldo said after the match: «For the fans, it was an amazing match. We are happy, we are now at the top of the table.
Chelsea dream lineup vs Aston Villa as Mykhailo Mudryk, Cole Palmer andRead on football.london